Sunday, October 28, 2012

What She Gave Me

My sister was one of the most influential people in my entire life. As I sat today grieving her loss I thought to myself Self, you need to get up and go do something. She wouldn't want you to mope.  So I got off the couch and went and sat down at the piano and began to play.

As I sat there letting the music move through me and help heal my heart I thought again of my sister and realized that it is only because of her that I can play the piano at all. I had never thought of it quite like that before. I always credited myself (for all my practicing :) and my mother (for not letting me quit when I wanted to.)  But you know what? The only reason I took lessons at all was because at the age of 16 my sister decided that she wanted to take lessons and so she asked my mom for them.

I guess my mom thought it was a good idea. I don't actually remember asking my mom for lessons or being particularly interested. I don't know if I asked my mom if I could take lessons too or if she just thought it would be nice for us to do it together. I guess it doesn't matter, because I started at age 8 and my sister started at age 16. She soon graduated from high school and let it go but I continued lessons for the next 10 years. 

My skill playing the piano has been one of my life's greatest blessings. Because I played the piano in high school I was able to accompany for the choirs. I was able to accompany for my friends. My friends and I used to sit around for hours singing together around the piano. It deepened our friendship and was just plain fun.

Because I played the piano I was able to get into the school of music at BYU because my music theory skills were up to par. My last piano teacher made sure of that.

Because I played the piano I was able to get a job after graduating from BYU. I was one of the only applicants who could play well. I was able to accompany my students and they trusted me because I could play the piano as well as their old teacher.

Because I play the piano I am now able to earn a small income from home while I raise my son.

Being able to play the piano has brought me countless hours of joy and numberless blessings. And the only reason I started lessons at all was because of my sister.

So thank you Liz. Thank you for one of the greatest gifts in my life. I love you. I miss you. You'll live on in me, in our brother, in your husband, and in your sweet daughters. 


2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Amanda, I wish I could be nearby so I could just hug you. I can't imagine your pain.
I pray that you'll find peace soon.

Unknown said...

You're wonderful.