Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Honesty is the Best Policy

Tomorrow is the last day of school before Christmas Break. Yay!

Tomorrow I also fly from Raleigh to Phoenix. Hooray!

My awesome friend Samantha is taking me to the airport. I was a little nervous about making it to the airport on time because I have to drive from Reidsville to Winston where Sam is picking me up and then together we will drive to Raleigh. There was absolutely no wiggle room. I would have arrived at the airport only 1 hour ahead of time. I was thinking about calling in sick on Wednesday but having serious internal conflict because that is dishonest. I am not supposed to use my sick days unless I am sick. 

Well. Honesty is the best policy. I am not going to work tomorrow. I called in sick. Because I am. Honestly. I felt awful at work today. My throat is sore and I was exhausted and aching all over. So now I feel confident I will get everything done I need to and make my flight on time. But I am sick. A blessing and curse. 

I went to the office at the end of the day in tears. I think I am just over emotional because I am pregnant. I did not want anyone thinking I was lying or being dishonest about calling in sick on the last day of work before break. Of COURSE my principal was right there when I walked in. He is awesome and was all concern. He told me his opinion was the only one that mattered, that I didn't look well, he could tell I was truly sick, to skip out on the staff meeting, and have a nice break. I was so embarrassed. I have no idea why I was crying! For heaven's sake. The office ladies who take care of subs and everything were awesome too. They laughed sympathetically and said "See! We told you so. We told you you would come crying to us one day for no reason at all and not know why you are crying!" They did tell me that too, about two months ago when I announced my pregnancy. 

I seriously have the best boss and coworkers in the world. I am so thankful for my job. I love those people. I hope I am as fortunate in my next job as I have been in this one. 

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh no! Feel better! And have a lovely break! I hope you're feeling better enough to enjoy it completely! :)

Kelsey said...

Um, I hadn't been on the internet for a bit and am THRILLED to hear about your baby boy! That is AMAZING!
I hope you do enjoy the pregnancy part of motherhood and that your break is restorative!