Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Things that make me think...

I enjoy reading. I especially enjoy reading things that make me think or cause me to actually put into concrete words my personal opinions and ideas instead of just letting them remain as vague feelings and inclinations.

It is often things that I disagree with or things that I have a negative gut reaction to that cause me to step back, evaluate they why of my reaction, and either come up with real reasons why my reaction was appropriate or else to change my opinion.

Does that make sense? I guess what I am saying in a nutshell is that I enjoy reading controversial topics that challenge my way of thinking.

I used to think I was somewhat of a feminist-- until I actually started to read what many feminists (especially Mormon feminists) had to say. Some of the stuff they opine upon or pontificate about I seriously disagree with. They often present their points of view in such a way that it seems like anyone with a brain couldn't possibly disagree with them. I often do disagree with them but I love that they write about it so strongly and so passionately. I often find that I cannot disagree with them in any sort of eloquent way. It is in those moments that my vague inclinations of what is right, wrong, acceptable or unacceptable are challenged and I am forced to sit back and materialize my own opinions instead of letting them remain vague inclinations.

I love reading the comments on these blogs because there are always one or two dissenters (like myself) who are so eloquent and who seem to say what I am thinking so perfectly and logically. It has really helped me define myself.

So to all those feminist bloggers out there I want to say thank you. Thank you for living your life passionately, for offering your opinions so freely, and for helping me to become more like you in that you cause me to reflect on my own life and create a stronger self-identity.

P.S. If you are still reading, hop over here and read this article. Holy Cow. I can't believe that was written in 1875.  Even though I do not feel in the honesty of my heart I can fully identify myself as a feminist I am sure thankful for those women who were/are and who have made it so I can develop my talents and abilities in a world that truly appreciates them instead of calling me unfeminine for my ambition.

2 comments:

Kimcapps13 said...

Amanda, I just want you to know, that I am so proud of you and happy you are my cousin. I know we don't know each other really well, but I do think of you often and I do love you. I wanted you to know that I love your blog. Your insight, humor and loving, kind spirit flows through everything you write. I love that you are a feminist. I completely understand what you wrote, I think I'm a sort-of-feminist but then I read and learn about real feminists and realize I am no where close to the courage it took. Thanks so much for sharing your life with your family and friends while you are so far away. Thanks again, and know your cousin Kim loves you.

Kim

A. B. said...

I love you too Kim! I admire you so much, especially because I see how happy and well-adjusted your kids are. I think that is a sign of a good mother-- happy, well-adjusted kids who love each other, their families, and you. I love that about you :)