Saturday, January 21, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me

Today is my birthday. It is usually my very favorite day of the entire year. In years past I have been showered with love and attention from my husband and my family and friends. Now I live thousands of miles away from family, my husband is in medical school, and I have only a few close friends here who also have husbands in medical school.

That is code for: This hasn't been my favorite day of the entire year.

In fact, it is probably one of the loneliest birthdays I have had.

To be fair, over 40 people took the time to wish me a happy birthday on facebook. And the day is not over! As silly as it sounds it meant so much to me. I probably checked facebook every couple of hours today just to see who had wished me a happy day. And my spirits were lifted with every name that was added to that list. People can criticize facebook all they want for not being "real" friendships, but when you are isolated and lonely and far away it is nice to feel connected to the world and today I was immensely grateful for facebook and all the kind friends who wished me a happy day.

I also got phone calls from my mom and siblings, my in-laws, and my

No comments: