Friday, March 2, 2012

Trigger

Today I missed my dad. A lot. I haven't really missed him like I did today in quite a long time. And do you know what caused it all?



I bought some sandwich meat at Harris Teeter a couple of days ago. I got a pound of turkey and a pound of ham since they were on sale. I normally only go for turkey, but ham sounded good so I got some. I hastily put the groceries away when I got home. I threw one pound in the freezer and one in the fridge, but I didn't pay attention to what I put where. 

This morning when I was making my lunch I grabbed the one in the fridge and it was ham. My dad ate more ham in every form than any person I had (or have) ever met. The shaved honey ham just made me think of him. It made me miss him and wish he were here. 

I wish he were here to take care of my mom and go on fun trips and missions with her.

I wish he were here to give me advice about teaching.

I wish he were here to watch me become a better teacher.

I wish he were here to see my growing belly and talk to me about what it means to be a parent.

I wish he were going to be here to see my son and bless him and hold him in his arms.

I just wish he were here.

But I know where he is and I know I'll see him again someday. I know he comes to see me sometimes and that he watches over all of us from Heaven. And I am sure that he wishes for me to live a good, righteous life so I can be there, in Heaven with him. 

I love my ham. Thank you Harris Teeter for having it on sale.

But more than ham I love my dad :)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

You are so sweet Amanda. It is strange, the things that trigger memories. I smelled perfume the other day (also at HT, as a matter of fact) that smelled like my adopted-grandma, who'd passed away, only I didn't know she smelled like that until that moment when the smell and memory connected.

You will find a sweetness in having a new baby, "fresh from God" as they say, and I think it will make you feel even more connected to your Dad. I don't know how it works up there, but my mom says she feels there are always family members who have passed helping new ones enter this world. I'm sure your Dad will be there when Austin comes.

I love this entry. Enjoy your ham. :)

Unknown said...

I would venture to guess that he's met your little baby, though. He probably told him all about you and what a great family he's going to be a part of. :)