Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Drug Addict? Nope. Just Infertility.

Yesterday a very special box came in the mail. I was incredibly concerned about the cost of that very special box so I asked Mark to open the box before I got home and check the invoice. The first words out of his mouth

"You look like a drug addict!"

And when I got home and saw the box for myself I can totally see why he would say that.

Inside the box was a big package of needles, syringes, alcohol pads, a sharps container, instructions about how to poke yourself and two different kinds of injectable drugs. Wow. But it was only $155, thank goodness!

It is my fertility medication! Every night for the next six nights I inject myself with a drug called menopur and take 3 pills of femara to go along with it. That is on top of the metformin that I already take twice a day. Wow. Lots of medicine. Then, on Monday, I will go and get an ultrasound to make sure my ovaries are doing the right thing. Then I will either continue the menopur for a few more days or start myself on ANOTHER injectable drug. Or just quit altogether.Whew. It is a lot to keep track of. But thank goodness I have an awesome nurse (named Amanda actually, what a coincidence!) who is helping me keep track of everything.

I am actually quite scared. I just want it to work so badly that I am afraid it will be a huge disappointment if it doesn't. I shed a few tears last night but my wonderful husband gave me a big hug and told me he was so proud of me for being such a brave person. I have the best, most loving husband in the world.

It is about that time again. Injection time I mean. If you are the praying kind of person please remember us in your prayers.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, I hope and hope that it all works out quickly! We're praying and thinking about you guys!

Love you!

Broc and Melanie said...

Good luck Amanda! I hope it works too--and of course I'll pray for you!

Unknown said...

Holy smokes, that is seriously a lot of medication! You are definitely one brave cookie. I love how you're willing to do whatever it takes even though it's scary and a lot for one body to handle. But you know what, you can totally handle this, Amanda. We'll keep you in our prayers. Keep hanging in there!