Thursday, May 19, 2011

What I love about blogs....

I love the song Lord I Would Follow Thee.

There is a part in the second verse that I have been thinking about lately:


Who am I to judge another
When I walk imperfectly?
In the quiet heart is hidden
Sorrow that the eye can’t see
.
Who am I to judge another?

I am sure that if I saw most of the bloggers whose blogs I follow walking down the street or in the store all I would see would be a well-dressed person who seemed really happy or perhaps a rich couple who drove a fancy car. She might be thinner and more athletic than me. He might have a better job. They might have a nicer house. I might see someone who is cranky, bitter or depressed. That blogger might cut me off on the freeway. That blogger might hold open a door for me. That blogger might let me in front of them in the grocery line because I have one thing and she has fifty. But no matter what I might see, "Who am I to judge another? When I walk imperfectly? In their quiet heart is hidden sorrow that the eye can't see." 

That is what I love about blogs. So often my favorite blogs reveal the struggles that they are facing. They are very real about the trials in their lives. Their sorrows truly are hidden: loss of a spouse, infertility, learning to deal with and take care of a disabled spouse, waiting to find that special someone, depression. The list goes on. Their sorrows are not something I would see on the street. They are not destitute. They are not disabled themselves. On the outside they look normal. But that is what I love that about their blogs. I love that they share that life is not perfect for them. I also love that they share how they have learned to rely on the Lord. I love that even though they all have different trials they are all learning the same thing: how to trust and rely on the Lord and trust in his timing. Their trials and faith strengthen my own. Their trials make mine a little clearer. The Lord is trying to teach me the same thing with my own set of trials. It makes me thankful because if I am just one little bit like some of those blogs that I read, I would be happy. They are awesome. 

The next time I am tempted to compare or be prideful I think I will try to sing Lord, I Would Follow Thee. 

I would be my brother’s keeper;
I would learn the healer’s art.
To the wounded and the weary
I would show a gentle heart.
I would be my brother’s keeper—

Savior, may I love my brother
As I know thou lovest me,
Find in thee my strength, my beacon,
For thy servant I would be.
Savior, may I love my brother—

Lord, I would follow thee.

No comments: