Sunday, May 15, 2011

Summer Plans

The end of the school year is so close! And even though I am SO excited to have a break, the real truth of the matter is that I will probably miss (some of) my students over the summer.

Mostly teaching has been great. There have been days that have been so hard that I just sat in my classroom with my elbows on the piano and my face in my hands crying, wondering if I chose the right profession. There have been other days where I thought "WHAT?! I can't BELIEVE I am getting paid to do this. This is AWESOME." Most of the days fell in between but closer to the "I can't believe I am getting paid for this." I learned so much. For those of my few readers who are in or who are contemplating education as a career I just want to say that the mantra "Never smile until Christmas" is absolutely true. I learned what it means to be consistent. I learned what it means to choose your battles. I learned that just like individuals have their own personalities, classes also have their own personalities and you have to learn to love and work with each one individually. Teaching With Love and Logic is such an awesome book. It really worked for me.

Anyway. This post isn't meant to be about my love of teaching or how much I have learned. I'll save that for the true end of the year. This is an update of summer plans.

I was so ready to go to Arizona. I had come to terms with postponing the infertility treatments. We bought tickets to fly home for a month. I was pumped. I was excited. I was ready! And then....

Mark got the paid research position he applied for.

Bitter-sweet. We really wanted to go to AZ. But we are SO thankful for the research position because it will give us a little breathing room financially.

Our car hit 150,000 miles today as I drove home during Relief Society to get the music I accidentally left at home for Ward Choir. Wow. And it is on its last legs, poor thing. So this research position is really a huge blessing because if/when our car bites the dust, we'll be ready.

So change of plans. We will simply be transferring our tickets to December when we fly home at Christmas. We will be staying in Winston-Salem all summer. We will be going forward with the fertility treatments. And we will be taking lots of weekend trips to the mountains and the beaches.

It was a win, win, win situation :)

No comments: