Thursday, May 23, 2013

Summer of Strawberries

I love strawberries. LOVE them. I've always wanted to go berry picking but I never have. Well North Carolina is full of strawberry farms. And this year I went berry picking! Mark, Austin, and I went with my friend Bridget Morgan and her daughters. We went to a little farm just outside the city. It was SO much fun. It was an absolutely beautiful day and we got the most delicious strawberries I have ever had.

It was so much fun to eat them warm right off the vine as we were filling out buckets. Even Austin got in on the action! Strawberries are his favorite fruit, hands down. When we put him on the ground he would either reach his hand into the bucket, or into the bushes and pick out the nearest strawberry and stuff it into his mouth. He even tried to go for a few kind of rotten ones that had fallen off the vines or out of other pickers buckets earlier. That boy LOVES strawberries!

This year we also planted our own strawberries in an old recycling bin. It looks kind of sheik to have plants in recycling bins I think :) I have had a pretty good harvest too! I've picked 14 strawberries from my two little plants!

I have an entire pinterest board dedicated to strawberry recipes and I am going picking again tomorrow!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Austin is adorable!

Emily said...

So fun! We love strawberry picking too but sadly we haven't been yet this year! I need to remedy that! :) Love that you got to go this year! Maybe one year we could go together. Love you!