Friday, June 29, 2012

Keeping My Mind Sharp

One of the things I most feared about becoming a SAHM was not keeping my mind sharp. It isn't that I thought homemakers were unintelligent or less smart than career women, I just didn't know what to expect for myself. I was afraid that the constant drudgery of housework/diapers/feeding, etc... would bog me down and prevent me from doing things that were academically and mentally challenging.

Mark and I have discussed time and again how I need to develop positive hobbies for myself to keep me busy and engaged. I have had the hardest time thinking of what hobbies I could pursue because I just do not really have much interest in hobbies that I see around me in homemakers. I do not like to scrapbook. I do not like to "craft." I can't sew (even though I DO want to learn that skill!) I don't have a sewing machine. I don't like knitting. I don't like to crochet. I do enjoy cooking (but food is EXPENSIVE!) And the list goes on.

Two things that I do love are music and learning. But I honestly didn't know how to make a hobby out of those two things. Until now.

Music:

I have this awesome friend, Jessica, who is organizing a recital for adults in our ward. She is a wonderful pianist herself and (like me) has not really polished anything for a recital in years because she had no incentive to do so. So she is organizing a recital for all the adults in our ward who fall into that category. For the first time in ages I have been practicing quite regularly. I can't wait to perform! It has been so much fun. I definitely go at a slower pace than I did in high school because I don't have the hours to practice I did then. Austin takes up just a little too much time for that. But I do get in 15-20 minutes every day or every other day and it feels great.

Learning:

We got a catalog in the mail about a month ago for something called "The Great Courses." I had seen things like it before. They are essentially high school or college level courses for independent study. There is no homework and no grades. They are simply series of readings and lectures given by top rated professors from around the country on a variety of subjects. And they are EXPENSIVE. I am talking $200-$600 a course. But this magazine was advertising a sale in June for 80% off. 80%!!! Mark also found a coupon for $15 off orders of $34 or more. So I split my orders and saved an additional $30.

After discussing it with Mark I ordered four courses. I only paid $44 for all four:

Great World Religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism)
Thinking Like an Economist
Secrets of Mental Math
Elements of Jazz

Doesn't that sound AWESOME?! I am so excited to learn those things. And if they go well then when another sale rolls around I can order some more.

Mark also taught me about a bunch of free college courses on something called iTunes University. I am super excited to get started there as well.

So there you have it. I now have made hobbies of the two things I love most: learning and music. I am so blessed to be guided to friends and family who can help me develop my talents, turn them into hobbies, and keep my mind sharp!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

And I'm so glad you're participating in the recital with me! I'm really excited to hear your piece!

Nice job splitting up your order, I'm not sure I would have thought of that.

I want to know about itunes university! When you find out more let me know!