Monday, June 18, 2012

Our First (well... 5th) Father's Day




Our first Father's Day (with Austin) was amazing.  It was the best father's day ever! In the morning (before church) Austin and I (and Mom Van Gesen!) surprised Dad with an iPad! He knew he was getting the pens but the iPad was a shock. I had been saving my extra piano lessons money for it for several months unbeknownst to Mark. I was going to wait until his birthday but with a little help from my mom I was able to get it for Father's Day. 

I mostly got it so Mark could use it as a study tool while rounding and studying at the hospital. I was a little nervous because of it's size but as you can see, it fits PERFECTLY in his white coat pocket. So awesome. Mark had said that many of his classmates use them and how quick and easy it made studying and doing test questions for them. I wanted him to have that ease too so he could study better at the hospital and spend more quality time at home with us. I think it will be a win/win situation for everyone. Austin also gave his dad a BIG smile. Well. Several big smiles for Father's Day. That was truly the best gift. 




We special meals all day-- Chocolate chip waffles and OJ for breakfast; fish sandwiches, spicy fries, and Ben and Jerry's Chubby Hubby for lunch. But the crowning jewel of the day was dinner. We made steak shish kebabs and grilled pineapple on our little smokey joe grill. It was AMAZING. Best. Dinner. Ever. We let the steak marinate overnight and it was to die for. Mark is truly the master of his grill!




The shish kebabs were a little messy. At one point everyone in the family had a messy face! 



After dinner we spent some family time just cloud gazing and taking some fun pictures. Then we went on a walk. While Austin drifted off to sleep Mark and I polished off a pint of Ben and Jerry's Peanut Brittle Ice Cream. It was truly a marvelous day.




Mark is the most wonderful husband and father. He made today a joy to celebrate and even though the iPad was an awesome gift, what we realized at the end of the day is that the best gift of all is Austin. He is truly what made this Father's Day so special. He makes every day special and being his parents is the best thing that has ever happened to us. We are truly blessed to love him and raise him. 

Of all the gifts Mark got, those smiles I mentioned were truly the best gift. He momentarily ignored the lure of the new iPad in the morning when Austin was so smiley. It was touching. Mark finds such joy in fatherhood. He already is and will continue to be an amazing dad. BIG thanks to Dad Bailey for being such a wonderful grandfather and example to Mark and a hug sent to heaven for my dad. 

We are truly blessed by all the fathers in our lives. 

3 comments:

Emily said...

What a happy and fun day! :) And I'm loving all these pictures of adorable baby Austin! :)

llamitanan said...

What a wonderful Father's Day for Mark! You made it so special for him. I would have loved to have been there when he opened the iPad. He had so much fun with my iPhone when I was there. You two are so good to each other. I love the pictures you post, the way you arrange them and the script you include. Good job!

Michelle said...

Awesome!! What a fun post about it. You are amazing to surprise Mark like that. I love it. It is so wonderful to see you both enjoying Austin so much. It brings back sweet memories of our first few months in Tallahassee with tiny baby Exacto. :) BTW, we have a little Smokey Joe, too!