Friday, October 7, 2011

Bad Teacher Day

I had another one of those days.

My last class is so talkative! I don't feel like we are getting anything done! Perhaps it is because they have lost some interest. I'll do what I can to get their interest back. I am determined not to go out today feeling like a failure. I think today's lesson was a failure because the students were disengaged. I think they were disengaged for a few reasons: they are not interested in what I am doing, they are tired at the end of the day, and we do not have enough procedures. I think in my next lesson we are going to practice procedures. Plus, I just didn't feel good today and I did not give enough positive reinforcement. I am keeping the boys and girls separate next year I think. I just think it will make for a more reasonable classroom atmosphere at this age. But I am not going to go out today feeling like a failure. I can do this. I can be a better teacher. They can be better students. I have got to think of a system that works. But we did have a lot of good days right in a row. I am not going to let one bad day ruin it all. I have to go to my duty now. They just need reminders.

Somehow I have got to get these students on my side.I feel like I am acting as immature and hot headed as they are sometimes. I am letting them get to me! That is what the problem is. I am letting them under my skin. In my other classes I do not let my students get under my skin. That is what I am going to change. I am going to not let them get under my skin. I am going to just deal with them like I deal with my other classes. Hopefully things will improve. I need to do some praying too. I think maybe Heavenly Father will help me. Plus, I need a class like this every year to help remind me that I have ways to grow and improve as a teacher. I learned a ton from my hardest students last year and it is actually helping me this year. My students this year are hard in a different way and now I need to learn how to deal with their hardness in this way. It will make me better and stronger in the end and I can do this.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow. This sounds like my day with my boys. I think teaching is probably an AP Parenting course, way accelerated! When Becky was teaching we had lots of conversations about the parallels. :) Hope things are better on Monday! It sounds like you're learning a lot. If you're like me, that means pain. . . .Sometimes I don't want to learn quite so much!

Emily said...

Just remember that you are a wonderful teacher! I know you are! And hopefully this week will be better!

Emily said...

Oh Amanda! I just think that those students are so so lucky to have you!

Unknown said...

What a great attitude! You are awesome Amanda! I sometimes need a good dose of that optimism in my life as well so thanks for that!