Friday, February 4, 2011

Exhausted

Teaching is exhausting sometimes. Harry Wong says teaching is exhausting when you are doing too much of the work and the students are not doing enough... I guess I can see that; but at the same time there is so much that the students can't or are not allowed to do, and it is THAT part of teaching that exhausts me:

writing lesson plans, completing purchase orders before the deadline, getting fundraising set up and ready to go, calling about potential places for your students to perform outside of class, creating a working curriculum (which I have NOT by the way), commuting 1 hour and 40 minutes every day, PDPs, IEPs, getting grades into the grade book, meetings, meetings, meetings, etc., etc., etc....

On a brighter note I have an intern from the high school this semester for two of my classes and they LOVE her. Yay! That makes classroom management way easier for me. AND she is able to go around and help those who are not getting it so they do not disturb the class. She is spoiling me with her awesomeness. I am SO thankful to have her. I hope I get an intern like her every year! I know that is probably, no... definitely, too much to hope for, but it is nice for a little bit of relief my first year of teaching :)

3 comments:

Joni said...

Manda manda. . .

I have long thought Harry Wong overrated. Now that I teach, I see that even more. He's got some good ideas, but he's a bit idealized. And guess what? I still love my teaching and still manage to be effective even though he's wrong. Life goes on. And interns are fantastic. I had one last year as well. Soooo helpful.

As for your most recent post: You can't trust Mondays. Get through today one period at a time - you can make it! And if you have access to Hulu, look up "SNL Penelope" or "SNL Stefon". Whenever I need a laugh - that's where I go.

Love!

Katie Houston said...

I didn't get my working curriculum written until this semester...2 and a half years in to it! There is so much to internalize in the first few years.

A. B. said...

Katie, that gives me so much hope. Nothing seems to be working quite right... blah.