Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lent

Lent is a powerful idea-- giving up something daily for just over a month in order to focus more fully on what is important.

Christmas is such a special holiday but when it comes to religiosity Easter is my favorite-- hands down. There is much less fuss around Easter and more time to focus on Jesus Christ. I love it.

I'm a little late for starting Lent this year. In fact-- I've never done it. But my growing addiction to Facebook has led me to start Lent a little late. I'm giving up Facebook and choosing to focus on my children for Lent.

It's been over a week now and I haven't been so fulfilled and so happy in a long time. I'm not saying Facebook is bad. For people who use it in moderation I think it is awesome. I wish I could use it in moderation. But I can't. I've been spending hours a day either reading facebook posts or reading the links other people post. And reading all those things has been consuming my thoughts, feelings, and time. It was all I would talk about with my husband (who would patiently listen but now admits he likes our conversations better). It would take time away from my children. I just got absorbed in an unhealthy way.

So I quit. I mean I really quit. I deactivated my account. I deleted my entire computer history so my computer wouldn't automatically put Facebook in the search bar when I entered the letter "f." I was so in the habit all I had to do was type "f" and my computer would fill the rest of it in. So I would type "f" then "enter" and bam-- I'd be there. That is why I had to delete the history. In the last week I have automatically typed f+enter and just gotten the letter "f" in a google search. The habit was so strong. I had my computer forget my password.

And I've been doing so well this week! I've spent more time really connecting with my friends through phone calls and long personal e-mails. I've spent more time playing and reading with my children. I've kept my house much cleaner. I've exercised more. I've read the Wall Street Journal (we have a subscription) and talked about those articles with my husband. I've given undivided attention to movies and books. It's just been a wonderful thing for me.

When I am past my fear of using Facebook too much perhaps I'll rejoin. Until then I may just continue this Facebook fast past Easter. I'm thankful for strong religious traditions (even those not of my faith) that help people become better. I'm thankful for Lent.

No comments: