Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Until I Mean It

My brother-in-law is engaged. I am happy for him.

But I am not happy. I miss my sister so badly. I want to be a part of the lives of her daughters in a meaningful way because they are all I have left of her. But I don't know how to do it.

I have so many feelings swirling around inside of me but mostly I think I am sad and scared. I am sad because my sister is dead, and I miss her more than I ever imagined possible. I am sad because I don't feel like I will get to be a meaningful part of the lives of her children like I had planned on. I am sad because I can't swap parenting stories with her anymore. I am scared because I am afraid they will never know her or me because our connection will wither up and fade away as her death becomes a distant memory for me (and disappears entirely for her daughters). I am just... not happy.

I was angry for a little while too. But the anger is difficult to describe. I am not angry with my brother-in-law for moving on with his life. I think moving on is the best thing for him and also for his daughters. They need a woman in their life. I wish it could be me but that isn't possible. *sigh* I think I am just angry that my sister is gone. And her absence is aggravated by the fact that my brother-in-law is getting married again (and pretty soon too...)

I really want to make contact with his new fiancee because I feel like that is the best way for me to stay in touch with him and my nieces. But I have no idea how to go about it. I'll just be honest: it is kind of strange to call my brother-in-law. I always contacted him through my sister. I mean I love him. He is a good man. But a relationship over the phone? Probably not really going to happen...  So I really feel the need to contact his fiancee. But like I said: I have no idea how to go about doing that.

So in the midst of this storm of emotion I have talked it out with a few good friends and family members. And I felt really guilty for feeling the things I was feeling. In fact I still feel a little guilty. But as I was talking it out with a friend the words "I just don't want to say 'Congratulations' until I mean it" came out of my mouth and I felt like I had my answer. And my answer is to just wait. I know I can't and shouldn't wait interminably. That might sound rude. My brother has already reached out to her. But I am not ready right now. And I don't have to be. I also don't know how to reach out. I don't know what to say or what to do. Heavenly Father understands that. And while talking with my friend he gave me my answer.

I think eventually in my heart of hearts I will be genuinely happy for my brother-in-law and his fiancee. Who knows, maybe we will become friends. I think I would like that. But until that moment arrives I am going to hold my peace until I can say "Congratulations. I wish you all the best" and really mean it.

*UPDATE*

I did it. I contacted her. And when I said "Congratulations" I meant it. And I feel like my sister is smiling down on me saying "Good for you Mand. She is a great girl. She is the right person." It is a wonderful feeling.

*UPDATE #2*

I have emailed back and forth with her a few times now. My brother-in-law's fiance is amazing. She is so loving and understanding. She wrote me the most beautiful e-mail and I feel like she was truly inspired while she was writing it. She said some things that I really needed to hear. I can honestly say there is no one I would rather have as a mother to my sister's kids. She is a remarkable person and will be a great influence for good in their lives. I am looking forward to many years of communication with her.

3 comments:

April said...

I have an inkling of how that feels... Just a tiny bit, I wont presume to know completely. After I lost Autumn and everyone around me was getting pregnant, my best friends and favorite cousins, and just couldn't say congratulations because I was still so angry that I wasn't anymore, and never could be again. It took months, but I remember the first time I could say it and mean it, and it felt so good. No one will judge you for waiting, and no one will judge you for not being "okay" that your sister is gone, no matter how long it takes. We love you and I am so glad that contacting the fiancée was a positive experience. *hug*

Michelle said...

Wow. I love this, Manda. Way to go on stretching yourself to be able to do this. One of the things I love most about you is your honesty.

Unknown said...

Amanda, you will a always have a connection with those girls that no one else can BECAUSE you are their mommas only sister... they will need you. I competely get your hesitation, but I have also witnessed the way Lindsay is with Mike and the girls, and I knew Liz was a part of them coming together. I miss your sister more than I thought possible too. You're graciousness toward Lindsay will be rewarded, 'I mean it' .... love you