Wednesday, February 20, 2013

It's just a phase...

But it is one I hope I never forget.

I have found that I have many moments in my day where I find myself with some extra time on my hands now that Austin is a much bigger boy, and I have weaned him.

I'll admit to spending a good deal of time reading blogs and the news.

But I am also happy to report that I spent a good deal of time practicing the piano. My skills are probably sharper than they have been since I was a senior in high school (my peak). It feels great.

I do it because playing the piano gives me a sense of well being. It helps me to remember that I am a talented and skilled musician and leaves me feeling confident and happy after a good practice session. But that is not the only reason I have taken to practicing the piano more.

I have discovered that it calms Austin down. He could be screeching or crying because he is bored and wants me to entertain him, but then as soon as I start playing the piano he will stop. He crawls over to the pedals (either by himself or with a toy or two) and plays with me. He presses on my feet. He bangs on the piano with his hands or with his toys (especially his rattles!) He lays on or across my feet and just listens. He crawls all around the bench and pushes his toys around. It is precious. It is so precious to have him there playing at my feet while I play the piano. It is a phase I never want to forget because I know it won't last forever. He is such a dear little thing.





1 comment:

Melissa S. said...

Oh my word!!!! That is so so so so cute!!!! How sweet. I can't believe how big he is getting!!!