Thursday, April 5, 2012

Political Statements

I have pretty strong opinions when it comes to politics. I usually keep them to myself or share them with my husband only. Typically I do not share them with family or friends. I NEVER share my political leanings on facebook. I never comment on news articles. I find myself aggravated by the overt rudeness of so many people who do. It is like the anonymity of the internet somehow makes it okay for people to say in a public place what they would NEVER say to someone's face. I wish people were more considerate and polite. I wish there were etiquette rules people would follow. But I digress.

I definitely consider myself a moderate. I am neither staunchly liberal nor ultra conservative. I actually think most people fall into the moderate category with a slight leaning in one direction or the other. It depends on the issue for me (and for most I imagine).

I am tired of the republican primary. I am thankful it is almost over. I am looking forward to the general election. And I wonder who I will vote for...

At first I thought President Obama was doing an okay job. At least I do not think he was horrible. In fact, beyond the healthcare law (which I oppose), I do not think he has actually done much at all. With such an abysmal congress, especially these last two years, he has shown himself to be a pretty weak president I think. And as the election draws nearer I find myself less and less impressed with his statements and campaigning tactics.

So I wonder who I will vote for... I feel pretty confident Romney will get the Republican nomination. And I think it is kind of cool that the general election is going to come down to a Mormon and a Black Man. That would NOT have happened even 40 or 50 years ago.

Romney certainly has not won me over. But Obama is kind of pushing me away these days, especially with his comments about the Supreme Court.

November will be an interesting election. At least for me.

1 comment:

Rachel K said...

Agreed about the issue with people posting on the internet what they would never say to someone's face. I've honestly strongly considered de-friending people that just get overtly offensive about it... the problem is that they are almost always people I am pretty close friends with... which is depressing and along with not offending people with political statements,I don't like to offend people period so I've never had the guts to de-friend. It's funny you should mention being on the fence. I've considered writing a blog post to that effect for a while. Also... not a big Romney fan either. I guess apart from being Mormon (which in itself is a feat with him being the nominee) he seems pretty much like any other talking head out there just trying to work the crowd and skirting the issues. You know though, Brad said to me recently "I may not like Romney much but I'll take a President who has at least a slight chance of making decisions with the aid of the Holy Ghost over a President who hasn't managed to accomplish much and seems pretty inept at getting congress to do anything useful". I think I'm starting to agree with that statement.