Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Moments I Treasure

Motherhood is just that. A treasure. I do not know if I will have more children or when it will happen if I do. I didn't have the luxury of knowing either of those things the first time and I still have infertility, despite the fact that I now have a beautiful child. So I treasure nearly every moment I have with Austin, which is why I don't blog much these days. I would rather spend my time on my tummy playing with him or feeding him or rocking him to sleep. I just want to list out a few moments I treasure so I don't forget them as this blog is the best journal I keep :)

Playing with Austin while he lays on the floor. We read, talk about things, sing songs with actions and songs without, and play with toys. Heaven will look like this.


Feeding Austin. I don't have pictures of the other type of feeding because it isn't blog appropriate :) I love to nourish my sweet baby. I love to stroke his face and head while he eats. He makes the most precious little sounds. They make me and his dad smile and laugh. I will always treasure the memories of feeding him.



Burping Austin. After I feed him he gets a little "milk drunk" as we say. It is really cute to see him with his eyes half open and his face slack from a full belly. He often puts his hands up to his face and just rests for a few minutes after he eats. I also have to burp him and he just rests his little head on my shoulder and snuggles with me. Those are some of my favorite moments of the entire day. Sometimes he will face me instead of facing away and I love to kiss his little cheeks when he does it that way. Precious, precious moments.



Bath Time. He loves being in the water. It just calms him right down. He didn't like his first sponge baths. "Didn't Like" is an understatement. He hated them. But now that he can be immersed he loves it. It is so fun to wash him and talk about his body with him and tell him what each body part is called. He is so tiny we just bathe him in the kitchen sink. His shampoo is stored under the sink with all the cleaning stuff. Fun memories! Bath time is fun!


Daddy Time. I will treasure the moments that Austin spends in his dad's arms. Austin LOVES his dad. He ALWAYS smiles for his dad. His first smile was for his dad and for a while there (a week or so) only his dad could get him to smile consistently. There was one moment that Austin was fussy and upset and Mark just wanted a smile so he asked gently "Come on Austin, can't you smile for daddy?" And Austin gave Mark the biggest smile before he went back to fussing. It was amazing. Daddy loves to exercise Austin and help him get his neck muscles strong. It was dad who discovered Austin's love for tummy time too. They are sure a pair and they already have a special relationship.




Rocking Austin to Sleep. This is one of my favorite things to do and it is one of the most precious moments of my day. After I swaddle him I love to hold my sweet son in the crook of my left arm while I pat his back or bottom with my right hand. Sometimes I sing to him and sometimes we just enjoy the quiet together. He stares right up at me until his eyes droop and he drifts off to sleep. I don't always put him down right away. Sometimes I just keep rocking him and marvel at the miracle he is in my life and just soak up and treasure the moment because I know it will pass soon. The picture is my view of him as we rock. Sometimes I rock him by swaying back and forth on the couch and sometimes I rock him in my rocking chair upstairs. It is seriously the most precious part of the entire day.  


Tummy Time! Austin loves it. Sometimes it is the only thing that will calm him down. He can already lift his neck so high. It is amazing to watch him grow. Often he will fall asleep all by himself while he is on his tummy. It is so precious to watch.


Family Walks. We love to walk. We take a walk as a family almost every single day. Mark and I talk and talk about life and the future and Austin just looks at the world around him or sleeps. We loves our walks. 


Austin Time. Really, every moment I get to spend with my sweet child is a moment I treasure. 





5 comments:

Kelsey said...

Oh, Amanda! Thank you for sharing this beautiful insight into your heart! It makes me so reassured to hear how much you love being a mom. Sometimes I worry that I will be awful at it, since I can be a beast when I'm low on sleep. But you remind me that I will likely be sooo grateful and happy to be a mom. Right now I am trying to enjoy my time as just a wife, and I'm really enjoying the opportunities this phase of life is offering me. Much love to you!

Melissa S. said...

That picture of Mark and Austin smiling at each other is PRICELESS!!!!!!!! I love it so much.
I love the tummy sleeping picture. I love when their little bums are up in the air when they sleep. My kids always slept better on their bellies so it reminds me of my sweet little newborns. You're right, this goes fast, so I'm soooooooooo glad you're treasuring every moment!

Emily said...

So, so sweet. Thanks for sharing these photos. Austin is adorable! I just know you are the best mama!

Chapples said...

Such beautiful thoughts and I love all the adorable pictures. So grateful you have your wonderful little bundle of joy now! Congrats again!!!

llamitanan said...

What a delightful post! I'm glad you are capturing and treasuring those moments so early in your parenthood. Keep up the good job of parenting our sweet grandson!